2020/2021 Working Hands Winter Crew Position (posted 9/14/20 – position is OPEN)
Working Hands Farm is a small organic diversified vegetable CSA farm located on 120 acres in the Willamette Valley, just outside of the city of Hillsboro (15.2 miles from downtown Portland, Oregon). We have been in operation since 2010 and grow year round through our Spring, Summer & Fall CSA & Winter CSA.
*Important note… Working Hands Farm does not provide housing or meals for farm crew members. All farm crew members must live within a reasonable distance of the farm and be able to provide their own reliable transportation for themselves to and from the farm.
General Job Description
Working Hands Farm is looking for part time employees to join our harvest crew for the 2020 Winter CSA season (This position is part-time 3 days per week (M-W, 9am-4pm). The Harvest Crew position will focus on all aspects of harvest and post-harvest handling of the over 50 vegetable crops we grow for our Winter CSA.
Winter Farm Crew Position:
This position’s responsibilities will include: harvesting and packing CSA shares. As well as transplanting, seeding, weeding, other general farm projects, etc…
- We are looking to hire someone that is highly motivated and brings a positive attitude. That enjoys working both independently and with a team.
- We are looking for someone who is passionate about feeding households that they are happy to face all the challenges that come with farming.
Skills and Qualifications
- Must have one full season of farming experience on a farm.
- Must be able to receive constructive criticism and feedback
- Must be physically capable to perform all farm tasks in all weather (hot, cold, rain, etc).
- Ability to lift 50lbs repeatedly
- Farm work requires kneeling, squatting, repetitive grasping, standing and bending for long periods of time. Those with weak backs or past injuries should strongly consider this before applying.
- Have a valid drivers license and reliable transportation
- Must be able to provide there own work gloves, work boots, rubber boots, and rain gear (this is mandatory starting on day 1)
- Be able to commit to work for the entire growing season November 30th – April 7th
- Must be able to work well with others as well as to work well independently.
- Must be able to interact with CSA members is a polite and respectful manor.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Employees are responsible for arriving to work 5-10 minutes before the start of the day and ready to work on the hour.
- Proper harvest and post-harvest handling of a large variety of vegetable crops
- Follow direction, systems and proper procedures
- Time management; work quickly, effectively and safely to accomplish the tasks at hand
- Record keeping
- Thoroughly washing produce to meet specifications
- Packing, labeling and organizing harvested crops in the cooler
- Keeping a neat, clean and organized workplace
- After harvest is completed harvest crew members may be asked to participate in a number of other activities such as weeding, irrigation, seeding, transplanting etc..
- The Winter CSA Crew commitment will be from November 30th- April 7th. We need someone who can commit to working the entirety of winter season at a minimum. Note: If both parties feel like it’s a good fit there will be opportunity to stay on for the 2021 Spring, Summer and Fall Season. There is also the opportunity to start work before November 30th with bulk harvests etc depending on your availability.
- The starting schedule is Monday-Wednesday 9am-4pm with a one hour unpaid lunch. (Hours will increase starting in march as we get more daylight).
- We will expect some flexibility so we can harvest around the weather to the best of our ability. That may mean we ask you to come in and harvest on an occasional Saturday or Sunday.
IMPORTANT: Please do not apply if you cannot complete the full season.
- As an employee of the farm, we are able to offer a starting wage of $13.50/hr with a performance review after the first 3 months of work. **NOTE: The Farm is located outside the Urban Growth Boundary. The farm is located inside the Washington County Rural Reserve and the minimum wage in our area is $11.50.
- The position includes one paid week off: the week of Christmas (12/21-12/23). There is no CSA harvest or work this week.
- Depending on your household’s needs the position includes a Bi-Weekly or Weekly Winter CSA Share.
HOW TO APPLY
- If it sounds like a good fit for you, please submit your application form below and email your resume, cover letter and 3 references to workinghandsfarm (at) gmail (dot) com
- For those applicants who are contacted, there will be a working interview as part of the application process.