2019 Working Hands Harvest Crew Position
Working Hands Farm is a small organic diversified vegetable CSA farm (200 shares) located on 40 acres in the Willamette Valley, just outside of the city of Hillsboro (15.2 miles from downtown Portland, Oregon). We have been in operation since 2010 and grow year round through our Spring, Summer & Fall CSA & Winter CSA.
*Important note… Working Hands Farm does not provide housing or meals for farm crew members. All farm crew members must live within a reasonable distance of the farm and be able to provide their own reliable transportation for themselves to and from the farm.
General Job Description
Working Hands Farm is looking for 3 part time employees to join our harvest crew for the 2019 season. The Harvest Crew position will focus on all aspects of harvest and post-harvest handling of the over 50 vegetable crops we grow for our CSA. This position is part-time 2 days/per week for a total of 14 hours/per week. We have positions opening starting in both April and May and that continue until the 3rd week in November.
Skills and Qualifications
- Must be able to receive constructive criticism and feedback
- Must be physically capable to perform all farm tasks in all weather (hot, cold, rain, etc).
- Ability to lift 50lbs repeatedly
- Farm work requires kneeling, squatting, repetitive grasping, standing and bending for long periods of time. Those with weak backs or past injuries should strongly consider this before applying.
- Have a valid drivers license and reliable transportation
- Must be able to provide there own work gloves, work boots, rubber boots, and rain gear
- Be able to commit to work for the entire growing season April or May through November
- Must be able to work well with others as well as to work well independently.
- Must be able to interact with CSA members is a polite and respectful manor.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Employees are responsible for arriving to work 5-10 minutes before the start of the day and ready to work on the hour.
- Proper harvest and post-harvest handling of a large variety of vegetable crops
- Follow direction, systems and proper procedures
- Time management; work quickly, effectively and safely to accomplish the tasks at hand
- Record keeping
- Thoroughly washing produce to meet specifications
- Packing, labeling and organizing harvested crops in the cooler
- Bulk harvest of crops: garlic, onions, winter squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes, cabbage, carrots, beets, root crops etc.
- Keeping a neat, clean and organized workplace
- After harvest is completed harvest crew members may be asked to participate in a number of other activities such as weeding, irrigation, seeding, transplanting etc..
- All candidates must commit for a full season on the farm, from mid-April or May through the 3rd week in November.
- Up to 14 hours per week. *There is potential for a third day a week depending on work, availability etc.
- Work days are Monday & Tuesday 7:00am-3:00pm depending on daylight hours and workload (start time can very up to 2 hours).
- There is an unpaid one hour lunch break each day.
- At times we may require crew members to work shorter or longer hours depending on weather and/or work load.
IMPORTANT: Please do not apply if you cannot complete the full season, though there is some flexibility in the start date.
- $11.25 per hour
- Organic produce: 1 CSA share for every week the employee works
- Being outside in the fresh air and sunshine, working with a bunch of great people and having access to fresh, organic produce!
HOW TO APPLY
- If it sounds like a good fit for you, please submit your application form below and email your resume, cover letter and 3 references to workinghandsfarm (at) gmail (dot) com
- For those applicants who are contacted, there will be a working interview as part of the application process.
- Evaluation Period All candidates will have a 6 week review to evaluate if they are a good fit for the farm or not.