Harvest Crew Position (May – Mid-November)
*Important note… Working Hands Farm does not provide housing or meals for farm crew members. All farm crew members must live within a reasonable distance of the farm and be able to provide their own reliable transportation for themselves to and from the farm.
General Job Description
Working Hands Farm is looking for part time employees to join our harvest crew for the 2021 Spring, Summer and Fall CSA season. This position is part-time 3 days per week (M-W, 8am-4pm/7am-3pm in the hotter months). The Harvest Crew position will focus on all aspects of harvest and post-harvest handling of over 50 vegetable crops that we grow for our Spring, Summer and Fall CSA.
Spring, Summer and Fall Farm Crew Position:
This position’s responsibilities will primarily include: harvesting and packing CSA shares. Some secondary responsibilities might include: transplanting, seeding, weeding, other general farm projects, etc…
- We are looking to hire someone that is highly motivated and brings a positive attitude. That enjoys working both independently and with a team.
- We are looking for someone who is passionate about farming and sustainable agriculture at a commercial scale
- We are looking for folks who are competitive with themselves and strive to improve at whatever they do.
- Candidates must have a strong attention to detail as well as as be able to see the big picture of what needs to be accomplished.
Skills and Qualifications
- Candidates with at least one year’s worth of experience working on a commercial farm are encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to receive constructive criticism and feedback
- Must be physically capable of performing all farm tasks in all weather (hot, cold, rain, etc).
- Ability to lift 50lbs repeatedly
- Farm work requires kneeling, squatting, repetitive grasping, standing and bending for long periods of time. Those with weak backs or past injuries should strongly consider this before applying.
- Have a valid drivers license and reliable transportation
- Must be able to provide their own work gloves, work boots, rubber boots, and rain gear (this is mandatory starting on day 1)
- Be able to commit to work for the entire growing season May – mid November (week before Thanksgiving)
- Must be able to work well with others as well as to work well independently.
- Must be able to interact with CSA members in a polite and professional manner.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Employees are responsible for arriving to work 5-10 minutes before the start of the day and ready to work on the hour.
- Proper harvest and post-harvest handling of a large variety of vegetable crops
- Follow direction, systems and proper procedures
- Time management; work quickly, effectively and safely to accomplish the tasks at hand
- Record keeping
- Thoroughly washing produce to meet specifications
- Packing, labeling and organizing harvested crops in the cooler
- Keeping a neat, clean and organized workplace
- After harvest is completed crew members may be asked to participate in a number of other activities such as weeding, irrigation, seeding, transplanting etc..
- The Spring, Summer and Fall CSA Crew commitment will be from May – mid November. We need someone who can commit to working the entirety of season at a minimum. Note: If both parties feel like it’s a good fit there will be opportunity to stay on for the 2021 Winter CSA Season.
- The starting schedule is Monday-Wednesday from 8am-4pm (with a one hour unpaid lunch). As it gets hotter and the daylight grows longer the shift changes to 7am-3pm and a few weeks of the season we sometimes start at 6am for those 100* days.
IMPORTANT: Please do not apply if you cannot complete the full season.
- This is a paid, hourly position. Compensation DOE. Range from $12-$14
- First 4 weeks of the position are considered a trial period
- Depending on your household’s needs the position includes a Bi-Weekly or Weekly Winter CSA Share.
HOW TO APPLY
- If it sounds like a good fit for you, please submit your application form below and email your resume, cover letter and 3 references to workinghandsfarm (at) gmail (dot) com
- For those applicants who are contacted, there will be a working interview as part of the application process.